Friday 17 May 2013

Modeling Drive Chain

Using Measurements of technical drawing and motor to find position of engine sprocket in relation to the rear sprocket.



I then used these measurements to make a chain path.



Creating the engine sprocket by counting (and re counting) the number of teeth and measuring the radius. The accuracy of this was very important, having to ensure the distance between each tooth was the same as the distance between the teeth of the rear sprocket. I had to revise my measured radius slightly to ensure the circumference of the sprocket was evenly divisible by the distance between each tooth.



I then created an assembly starting with the rear sprocket/wheel and the engine sprocket. I placed these in position using the chain path and used the Belt/Chain feature to create the path for the chain.



I then measured up the chain elements to model the chain peices. This involved creating two models, one smaller/inner chain piece and one larger/outer chain piece.



Useful Chain Tutorial

I then used the two sizes of chain, alternating them along the chain path. Unfortunately I had troubles repeating the chain feature along the path using a pattern feature so I had to manually place and snap each piece of chain along the path.



An Hour Later.....



No comments:

Post a Comment